Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fashion Memo: Bar Mitzvah Sunglasses


My residence in Williamsburg, though great in many ways, exposes me to some of the worst fashion trends around. Today's rant concerns the recent explosion of cheap, neon plastic sunglasses in the area and city at large.

I call these glasses Bar Mitzvah sunglasses mainly because they were party favors at almost every bar/bat mitzvah I attended (Jew from Westchester here, so that's at least 40) in my youth. Now they were cute and fun for the 3 hours a group of 13 year olds wore them while doing the Electric Slide and playing Pepsi vs. Coke, BUT, I'm sorry to inform you they are not a viable fashion trend.

I could understand it if there weren't perfectly decent looking pharmacy sunglasses that, to be honest, aren't half bad in many cases. Yes, you're not going to find something as cool as a $150 pair of Ray Bans, but at least you won't look like someone who's desperately trying to be ironic and cool. You can practically feel these people's desperation to have someone comment on how funny they are for wearing bar mitzvah sunglasses or sweet they are for not "buying into" conventions of fashion.

Please, before you reach for this fashion faux-pas, can you ask yourself the following question: Is your accessory really ironic when there are 30 other hipsters sporting it in a five block radius?

4 comments:

joewillie said...

very funny, love this

duko smith said...

Maybe it is better if you try one of their microscopes. That way you won't get yourself into trouble and you can refresh your chemistry aswell as your biology skills. Okay I mentioned biology and most likely you are thinking about the telescope
low priced sunglass displays

Anthony Masiello said...

How could you not enjoy reading this article?
Mass Vision

Anthony said...

Hi there, 

I am pleasantly surprised I found your site, I really found you by mistake while I was browsing Google for bifocal sunglasses (lol).  Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and an all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design). I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved the page and have added in your RSS feeds. When I have time I will be back to read more. 


Please do keep up the stellar posts.